Having back pain oftentimes makes it difficult to move properly and can be a hindrance to travel. Sitting in a car, a plane, or a bus for a long time can sometimes trigger increased pain, which leave a person suffering for the entire duration of the trip.
The natural tendency would be to simply relax your body and avoid going anywhere, but travel to other places – even just to work or the grocery store – is inevitable. It is therefore important to create strategies for how you can reduce the pain when you travel.
Chiropractor NYC suggests these tips for achieving pain-free travel:
- Always bring back support when you travel. Sometimes airplanes provide passengers with a small pillow, but it is best to bring your own so you are guaranteed to have one. If you don’t have a small pillow, try a towel or a piece of clothing instead.
- Work on having good posture. Sitting properly with good posture will help reduce your back pain. Prolonged sitting is one of the worst enemies of back pain, so it is important to sit properly to minimize triggering further pain as much as possible. Your back should be aligned with the seat with your feet flat on the floor.
- Get some sleep. The best way to fight pain during travel is to get some rest and sleep. This is especially helpful to patients who are traveling particularly long hours. While waiting for your next stop, allow yourself to relax and doze off.
- Bring along heat pads in case of pain. Heat pads are useful because they help to relax your muscles and alleviate some pain.
- Wear comfortable clothing. Try to wear comfortable shoes and clothing to help your body feel at ease. If your body is relaxed, then you will less likely trigger any pain.
- Do some stretching. Stretch your legs and arms out to keep your body feeling loose while you sit. If possible, stand up for a few minutes or go to the bathroom to give yourself the opportunity to walk around. Move your body in whatever way you can to avoid physical stress.
Esprit Wellness (Find us on Facebook)